Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Rescue

The darkness has swallowed me again.

I sit in the gloom trying to remember the look of sunshine, but the memory does not come. Shadows, deep and unrelenting, entomb me with the tenacity of a tiger holding onto its prey.

I die here, a little each day, my soul leaking hope like a severed vein. I try to stand, to seek an escape, but weakness has overcome me. The night will not let me go.

No one can find me here, among the tombs, even if they cared to. Dread's grip is far too strong so I surrender to the monster's whim. Even unconsciousness will not come.

I awaken to a pin prick of light above me. Is it real or just a dream? A breath of air breaks the heat and stillness of this place. My prison walls tremble with the faint sound of thunder. I will drown in this place if it rains! I clutch at stones around me.

A drop of moisture stings my face.

I close my eyes against the inevitable, knowing there is nothing I can do.

I am startled by the taste of salt upon my lips. The rain that pounds me tastes like tears.

I open my eyes to see the face of God looking down at me, His eyes filled with mercy and love.

He disappears for a moment as he sets something down beside me. It is a ladder with which I can make an escape. Light shines down sweetly upon me as I slowly grab at the wood there.

No, it is not a ladder...but a cross, battered and worn and stained with blood.

I cling to the cross and weep tears of joy as He lifts me from oblivion into the light.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! This reached to the deepest part of my soul and set me free... Jesus how I love you.

    ReplyDelete